About the Council
The Sri Lanka – USA Business Council was inaugurated as the 22nd Business Council under the aegis of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce by His Excellency Atul Keshap, Ambassador for the United States of America in Sri Lanka on 29th November 2016 at the Hilton Colombo Residences, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
This initiative was proposed by the Ministry of Trade & Commerce as a recommendation of the 11th Joint Council Meeting under the USA - Sri Lanka Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) to further expand trade relationships between Sri Lanka and U.S.A. The main objective of the Business Council shall be the promotion of exports, facilitating Investment and Tourism in Sri Lanka and Services between Sri Lanka (SL) and the United States of America (USA).
The functions of the Business Council are the following-
- liaise and co-ordinate with Sri Lanka’s Ambassador in the USA on matters of relevance to achieve the objectives
- exchange information relevant to exports to the USA
- facilitate meetings between persons from the USA seeking business and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka and relevant persons in Sri Lanka including Government functionaries
- make arrangements for the provision of relevant services to persons from the USA seeking business and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka
- make recommendations to the CCC with regard to policy interventions required to create a conducive environment for the promotion of exports, investment, tourism and Services